The history of tourism in Germany goes back to cities and landscapes being visited for education and recreation. From the late 18th century onwards, cities like Dresden, Munich, Weimar and Berlin were major stops on a European Grand tour.
Spas and Seaside resorts on the North and Baltic Sea (e.g. Rugia and Usedom islands, Heiligendamm, Norderney and Sylt islands) particularly developed during the 19th and early 20th century, when major train routes were built to connect the seaside spas to urban centers. An extense bathing and recreation industry materialized in Germany around 1900. At rivers and close to natural landscapes (along the Middle Rhine valley and in Saxon Switzerland for example) many health spas, hotels and recreational facilities were established since the 19th century.
Since the end of World War II tourism has expanded greatly, as many tourists visit Germany to experience a sense of European history and the diverse German landscape. The country features 14 national parks, including the Jasmund National Park, the Vorpommern Lagoon Area National Park, the Müritz National Park, the Wadden Sea National Parks, the Harz National Park, the Hainich National Park, the Saxon Switzerland National Park, the Bavarian Forest National Park and the Berchtesgaden National Park. In addition, there are 14 Biosphere Reserves, as well as 98 nature parks.
The countryside has a pastoral aura, while the bigger cities exhibit both a modern and classical feel. Small and medium-sized cities often preserved their historical appearance and have old towns with remarkable architectural heritage - these are called Altstadt in German.
- 'Ballooning in Germany' £6.99
- 'Ballooning in Germany' in 1783 £6.99
- 'Berlin Flying Competition' in 1909 £6.99
- 'Besuchet Zoo' in 1912 £6.99
- 'Europa Union Winter Air Traffic' in 1925 £6.99
- 'Flying Machines by Gustav Otto, Munich' in 1912 £6.99
- 'German Flight' in 1911 £6.99
- 'In a German Forest' £6.99
- 'Straubing Aviation Festival' in 1912 £6.99
- 'Wanne-Herten Airfield' in 1912 £6.99
- 'Zeppelin Airship Transport Company' in 1912 £5.99
- 'Zeppelin Conqueror of the Wind' £5.99
- 'Zeppelin for South America in Three Days' in 1935 £5.99
- 'Zeppelin for South America in Three Days' in 1935-37 £5.99
- 'Zeppelin Landing in the Liberated County Palatine of the Rhine' in 1930 £5.99
- 'Zeppelin North America in Two Days' in 1937 £5.99
- 'Zeppelin Rides Over Lake and Shore' in 1935 £5.99
- 'Around Berlin' in 1912 £6.99
- 'Ballooning in Germany' in 1787 £6.99
- 'Berlin Aviation Show' in 1912 £6.99
- 'International Exhibition of Travel' in 1911 £6.99
- 'Latham Flight' in 1909 £6.99