Nursing is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life.
Before the foundation of modern nursing, members of religious orders such as nuns and monks often provided nursing-like care. Examples exist in Christian, Islamic and Buddhist traditions amongst others. Phoebe, mentioned in Romans 16 has been described in many sources as "the first visiting nurse". These traditions were influential in the development of the ethos of modern nursing. The religious roots of modern nursing remain in evidence today in many countries. One example in the United Kingdom is the use of the honorific "sister" to refer to a senior nurse
Florence Nightingale laid the foundations of professional nursing during the Crimean War. Hospital-based training came to the fore in the early 1900s, with an emphasis on practical experience. The Nightingale-style school began to disappear. Hospitals and physicians saw women in nursing as a source of free or inexpensive labour.
Many nurses saw active duty in World War I, but the profession was transformed during the second World War. British nurses of the Army Nursing Service were part of every overseas campaign. More nurses volunteered for service in the US Army and Navy than any other occupation. The Nazis had their own Brown Nurses, 40,000 strong. Two dozen German Red Cross nurses were awarded the Iron Cross for heroism under fire.
- 'Buy the tuberculosis stamp' from France, WW1 £6.99
- 'Companions! Help Hospitals with blood and Nurseries for Children' from Spain, Civil War £6.99
- 'Do protect your children against tuberculosis with BCG vaccine' from France, WW1 £6.99
- 'Evacuation of children' from England, WW2 £6.99
- 'Florence Nightingale' in 1870's £6.99
- 'Give and heal' America £6.99
- 'Help the Red Cross. She attends casualties' from Spain, Civil War £6.99
- 'Motherless, fatherless, starving...' from France, WW1 £6.99
- 'Nurses uniforms' Britain in 1938 £6.99
- 'Nursing Equipment' Britain in 1911 £6.99
- 'Red Cross Help' Australia £6.99
- 'Solidarity Workshop poster designer CNT AIT.' from Spain, Civil War £6.99
- 'The American Red Cross wants clothes' from France, WW1 £6.99
- 'V.A.D' £6.99
- 'Wanted 25,000 student nurses, U.S. Student Nurse Reserve' from US, WW1 £6.99
- 'Boer War field cycle ambulance' £6.99
- 'British WW1' £6.99
- 'Ludendorff donation for disabled veterans' from Germany WW1 £6.99
- 'Strong hearts by Gabriel Mauriére' from France, WW1 £6.99
- 'They need us over there 1000 graduate nurses' from US, WW1 £6.99